Smells and Odours in Drain
The drainage system is designed in such a way that it keeps the sewage and waste water odour away from your bathroom, kitchen, or other such areas. If your drainage system works well, you won’t have to worry about any odours or rotten-egg smells. However, if you do smell a foul odour in your bathroom, you have a problem. This is one of the signs of a malfunctioning drainage system and needs to be addressed promptly.
Why Does Your Drain Emit Odour?
The simplest answer to this question is that your drainage system has stopped working well and needs to be repaired. The most common reasons why the system emits odours are:
- Water back-up due to drain blockages – Waste water often has a foul odour, especially after it has been exposed to the sewage system and the gases present in it. When this water backs up, the odour of it can flood your bathroom, kitchen, and other such areas.
- The water barrier – Most drains have a water barrier that keeps the sewer gases away from your home. This water barrier acts like a permanent seal and is maintained by the P-trap system present in the drain. If this water is somehow disturbed or dries up, you can be certain that the odour would reach your home.
- Sewer Lines – If your sewer lines malfunction, you can be certain that your drains will emit a bad odour. All of the sewer gases will escape the lines and flood the drains. They might even break the water barrier and enter your home.
How Do We Address the Problem?
Almost everyone who has a foul-smelling drain will try home remedies like baking soda. While this might prove effective in some cases, it doesn’t always work. If you smell odour from your drains, you should call in the professionals. We will make sure that the cause is addressed instead of the symptom, which ensures the odour is eliminated completely and doesn’t return. Here’s what we do:
- We check the p-trap and the level of water present in the trap. If the trap is completely dry, we repair it and refill it with appropriate levels of water.
- We examine the drains for clogs or blockages and use the drain auger to clean them promptly.
- If these two steps don’t eliminate the odour, we need to dig deeper and examine the sewer system. Our plumbers will first attempt to clear the sewer with the sewer auger. If that doesn’t work, they’ll examine the system with CCTV to check for cave-ins and other such problems.
- Once the problem is resolved, our plumbers will check the entire system once again to make sure everything functions well.
If you have any questions about our services for smells and odours in drain or want a free no-obligation quote, just get in touch with us at SPS Plumbers. Our number is 02 9002 7332 and our email is email@example.com. You can also fill in the contact us form and we’ll get back to you as soon as possible.