Gas is one of the most cost-efficient fuel sources for residential and commercial applications, but it’s crucial to ensure that all the installations have been done safely. While modern day gas plumbing systems are specifically designed to the highest safety standards, there are times when leaks occur in these systems. In some cases, the leaks arise from the appliances. If you notice a gas smell in your house, it’s crucial to call in an experienced plumber without delay.
Gas leaks- the common signs
Gas systems are designed specifically so signs of a leak are immediately noticeable. The things you need to check for include:
- Odour – Gas is odourless & colourless but there is a specific additive that is added in it that gives it a specific odour and this is one of the most noticeable signs of a gas leak.
- Noise – A leaking gas pipe often emits a very distinctive hissing sound when the gas escapes through loose joints or cracks. In certain locations and appliances, this particular noise is pretty audible and you would be able to notice it immediately.
- Temperature – If you have noticed either or both of the above two signs, touch the nearest gas pipeline for a couple of moments. If you find the pipe is cold to the touch, it indicates a pressure drop within the pipe that is typically caused by a leak.
If you notice any of these symptoms, it’s crucial to call in a licensed plumber in Sydney without delay. Keep in mind that gas is highly flammable and is also extremely toxic to humans as well.
Things to do in case of a gas leak
When there is a leak on the property, your very first priority should be to make sure that you and your family are safe. Do not spend time trying to identify where the source of the leak is, follow these steps:
- Quickly turn off all live flames in all areas of your home immediately.
- Open up all the doors and windows to let the gas out.
- Warn everyone in your home about the gas leak.
- Immediately evacuate the property.
- Call your gas company and request them to shut down the gas supply to your property
- Call us or get someone to call us while you are attending to all these things
Hire expert plumbing professionals
We at SPS Plumbers have the knowledge, experience and tools to quickly assess, identify and repair all types of gas leak problems. We also provide regular plumbing service and maintenance solutions and this helps ensure that all he installations are functioning as they should. If you need a licensed 24/7 emergency plumber, we can provide prompt and professional services regardless of the time you call us. For any information, feel free to call us on 02 9002 7332 and our email is firstname.lastname@example.org. You can also fill in the contact us form and we’ll get back to you as soon as possible.