Products You Should Avoid Discarding In Your Garbage Disposal
Garbage disposals & drains are one of your house’s most vulnerable fixtures. The drains in your house see daily use and the wear and tear can take its toll over time. But what impact these fittings more is all the garbage that we tend to dispose in it without much thought every single day.
Disposing garbage the right way can save a lot of money on repairs. In case your drain gets blocked, avoid fixing it yourself and consider hiring a licensed plumber in Sydney. You should take proper care of your drains and avoid putting certain things in them such as:
- Coffee Grounds- Coffee grounds are one of the worst things that can clog your drain. They form a sludge-like substance over time and attract a considerable amount of grease. This sludge clogs the drain completely and your entire drainage ends up smelling like old coffee. Consider using the coffee grounds as compost or reuse it in other ways.
- Egg Shells- Egg shells may look fragile, however they too can cause drains to clog. The eggshells may get attached to some of the things you end up disposing in the drain and over a period of time they start sticking together resulting in a clog. You can use egg shells as compost as well.
- Grease and Cooking Oil- Cooking oil is used in almost all meals. However, avoid pouring leftover oil or bacon grease into the drain as they thicken over time and clog the drain. In addition to clogging the drain, grease also ruins the pipes and causes them to become deteriorated over time.
- Pasta- This is a common food many people consume. Anyone who has cooked pasta knows that it expands in water. Throw leftover pasta in the trash as it can expand and clog if you discard it in the drain.
- Potato Peels- Food items that either expand or stick together will end up clogging your drain. If you discard potato peels in the drain they turn into a sticky material. These peels will harden over time and block the drain eventually.
- Fruit- When homeowners clean out their kitchen they end up throwing seeds either into the garbage disposal. The disposal blades may end up cracking or breaking because of this. Avoid throwing avocado seeds into the drain.
- Rice & Beans- When exposed to water, rice or beans form a starchy substance just like potato skin. This substance can easily clog the drain. A few grains of rice may not cause much damage to the pipes, however anything over a quarter cup should be disposed in the garbage bin.
We at SPS Plumbers provide 24/7 emergency services based on what your requirements are. If you have any questions about our services or want a free no-obligation quote, just get in touch with us at SPS Plumbers. Our number is 02 9002 7332 and our email is email@example.com. You can also fill in the contact us form and we’ll get back to you as soon as possible.